Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Our baby girl is here!!

I cannot believe its already been 8 days since Emma was born!  I'm already sad about her growing up, she's so precious and tiny I love holding her!!  We went to the hospital Monday night, July 25 to start the induction process and things were progressing really well so about 1 a.m. they decided to start the epidural. 
Was my belly really that big??  Haha!
The next few hours were pretty rough because they gave me a 12 hour dosage of epidural in about 15 minutes.  So from all that extra medication, I was numb up to my neck.  It was a very scary couple of hours for me because I couldn't feel myself breathing and couldn't move my arms, so I was in a huge panic.  They gave me oxygen to help me realize I was breathing, but mentally when you can't feel your lungs expanding its almost impossible to believe when they say you're okay.  Neither Emma or I were in any danger, and they gave me tons of IV fluid to help it pass through my system more quickly (which made me extremely swollen)!!  Luckily I'd had Ian call my mom and dad when they put in the epidural so they were there to help Ian calm me down. 

After that episode they continued the epidural drip, but obviously in the right dosage this time.  I was still continuing to have contractions, but while they were getting closer together were not getting stronger from the pitocin drip so about 1 p.m. my doctor said that whether we do it now or wait another 12 hours to see how much more I'm dilating she thought either way I'd be delivering via c section.  So, they got me all ready and at 2:29 p.m. Emma was born, 8 pounds, 6 ounces and 21 inches long! 

It was so amazing to hear her cry for the first time, I was just in shock she was here, I cried and cried.  Once she was out they took her to the side to do the measurements, clean her, etc.  Ian got to be up close to see everything, I was about 15 feet away watching.  Ian finally got to bring her over to me (after I was very impatiently waiting), and it was the best feeling to know she was ours!!  I can't describe it!  She had such an amazing color to her skin already and dark blue grey eyes.  I know she can't really focus but it felt like she was staring right at me. 

I got to hold her while they wheeled us to recovery, where our family got to come in - the nurse let everyone come in at once even though we're supposed to only have 2 at a time - so it was us, my mom, dad, Ian's parents, Ross, Neal and La-Shea just taking turns holding her and passing her around.  She was extremely alert the whole time and was making the cutest faces, sticking her tongue out and waving her arms. 

We stayed in the hospital 3 nights and kept her in our room except for a couple of hours on the last night.  We had a lot of visitors, but did get some time with just the 3 of us and we kept saying over and over how surreal it all was.  I tried to soak in every second with her, just holding her and trying to remember every face knowing she will change so quickly. 

We had the cutest outfit for her to wear coming home, and I wanted to take tons of pictures of the 3 of us (my mom followed us from the hospital), but Emma didn't quite cooperate with my plan.  She was a little fussy and hungry, so after a few shots we gave up.  :(   I've been meaning to change us all back into our "coming home" clothes before she changes too much and take more pictures but that requires a lot of effort getting me and her ready at the same time so I haven't done it yet.  The photographer is coming tomorrow to take newborn pictures, I can't wait to see how they turn out.  I think Emma makes the cutest faces asleep and awake, and I know photographers can get those perfect shots that I keep missing. 



Ian got to stay home with us until today which was great to get some more time with just us 3 laughing at her funny faces, watching her sleep and "playing" with her when she's awake.  Emma loves her daddy, anytime he's holding her she is staring right at him. 

We had her first Dr. visit - and trip out - on Monday, she's 98% height at 21 inches, head circumference is 95% and her weight was up a little from the hospital to 7 lbs, 14 oz which is 55%. 

I've taken a million pictures so far of her, and need to be better about getting the 3 of us or at least her and a parent.  While I"d love to post every single one, here are a few favorites. 













I feel so blessed to have such a healthy, happy baby girl!! 

3 comments:

From Fine to Fab said...

She is BEAUTIFUL! Y'all are too cute! Lots of love your way! Can't wait to meet her!!!!

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations! Y'all are such a cute little family, and Emma is absolutely gorgeous! We'll be up in 2.5 weeks, and I can't wait to hold her!

Emma said...

Thanks ladies!!! Please come visit us whenever you can!

Post a Comment